So yes, despite all the negative feedback I caught this last night at Crown. Andddd here we go, the beginning of a stream of criticism:
- 步惊云’s 三霸剑之剑流云: 5 star effort, excellent! His other moves were crap.
- 步惊云’s 悲痛莫名 looked like a huge ball of water, rather than the sea of slashes that represented the sorrow of the swordsman’s emotions.
- 无名’s 悲痛莫名 was learnt by 步惊云 at a very young age; what the hell was that about learning it instantly in the movie?
- Why is 无名 wearing armor? 万剑归宗 felt like a stupid hail of swords z; declasse.
- 聂风入魔 = Twilight-mode eyes? No blood red devil mode x-ray vision eye? And more importantly: why did he have both eyes in this movie, he was supposed to have only ONE!
- There was an attempt to follow the canon plot, which told of 聂风 turning into the 麒麟魔, as evidenced by the scales on his body. Not very well explained though, and I doubt the average audience would have realised it.
- 聂风的风神腿在哪了! He was using fists almost 90% of the time, sigh. Given that fight choreography with kicks on a non-martial artist is extremely tough, but I was sort of looking forward to this bit. 聂风 was so good, he could wield his 雪饮刀 with his feet, as illustrated in the comic with the move 踏雪寻梅. In the movie, we have him brawling like a street fighter.
- 第一邪王 is no longer the 阴阳 dude who is a half black/white fellow with a male and female arm.
- 第一邪王 magically knows 绝无神’s weak spot, wow. Magic!
- 第二梦 has a barely visible deformity on her face, and turns into a pretty chick. Come ON.
- 第三猪王’s 创刀 is never mentioned in this movie, and neither is his teaching to 聂风. Instead, he becomes this dude who wields a staff. A STAFF wth.
- 楚楚 knows 武功! Amazing.
- 绝无神 takes time off the gym, and slims down in this movie. No longer the hulking conqueror.
Anyway, it is tough work adapting a comic to the big screen and I never had any expectations of this being an awesome piece of work, so it’s a watch-and-forget kind of thing for me.