I just sort of realised that I’d missed out the 2010 post. dayum.
So here goes an summary of 2010, not in chronological order.
- The brother Stan came over to study and bunked in with us. Excellent addition, never complained about helping.
- V bought her first car, the Honda Jazz Vibe. Expanded the amount of weekend travelling we did.
- Got hailed on for the first time in my life, not fun. Experienced Melbourne flash floods for the first time too.
- Cheered the Celtics on throughout the course of a gruelling season, and watched them lose to the Lakers in a heartwrenching series in the NBA finals.
- Spent an entire week coding SpendTrack into existence, a big first.
- Watched Jersey Boys again, this time with Stan. Which rocked.
- Caught West Side Story, which sucked. It sucked so bad, I fell asleep.
Ordered my first ever MTM (made to measure) suit, which is a big milestone in a man’s life. Thanks to Adriano Carbone for assisting with this milestone.
Took a little weekend trip to Daylesford with V, where the possibility of marriage was brought up. Lost sleep, watched The ShawShank Redemption that night. Excellent classic, kept my mind off reality for a bit.
- Bought the iRobot Roomba 560, awesome housecleaning gadget.
- Bought my first smartphone, the HTC Desire. KOOL!
Decided to get married, so yes I bought a pretty little solitaire that cost a chunk and asked her the traditional ‘would thou hath me?’ at home. (I was paranoid about being mugged on the streets on a public proposal scenario.)
- Began planning for the wedding in earnest, which was about seven months down the track.
Celebrated a lot of birthdays with friends, and had a great party for mine and Stan’s at a KTV session
- Had an excellently prepared Christmas dinner at Andrew’s. My first time having turkey!
And 2011 has been a considerably more milestone-ey one.
Went over to the US of A in a legendary two-guy trip with Stan, catching NBA games across three cities (New York, Boston, Chicago), including witnessing the recordbreaking Ray Allen #2561 three pointer in a Celtics v Lakers game. I have to transcribe my travel notes from the trip onto this blog sometime soon.
Got married at the RBG, great day. Months of planning and guitar practice, kudos to everyone who attended. More especially the people who flew down. And most especially the guys who helped, you know who you are.
Formed a basketball team, joined a local league. Tough learning experience, not an easy road but we made it through. And got runner-up.
First time on a roadtrip up to Canberra with the family plus Lester. First time voting for the General Election at the Singapore embassy. Which turned out to be inconsequential since the votes were not counted pfft.
Went back to Singapore. Twice. Caught up with many friends, which was really great. Got fever on both trips on the last day, which sucked bad. Really, really bad.
- My little girl Elly being born in December. Became a dad – dayum. 99% of the credit goes to V for pulling through like a trooper. It’s an amazing feeling being someone’s dad. Granted, not so amazing when she poops while I’m in the middle of changing nappies but.
Not forgetting my thanks to all the friends in Singapore who have stayed in touch, despite me being overseas for five years now. And to thank my friends over here in Melbourne for being around. And to my family for putting up with my random quirks. All of you are awesome.
And lastly, I would like to thank whoever’s up there for making every year a great one. I may have had minor hiccups like falling sick or getting pissed off over random bits in life, but the contentment and joy I receive from every day of my life in Melbourne is immeasurable, and for this I give thanks without reservations.
Here’s to 2012 beating 2011 hands down!