It’s been a month since I started life as a SAHD, and it sure felt like six. It has been a big change from work, and I sure as hell miss the train rides that doubled as reading time. That aside, things have been interesting, to say the least.
For starters: looking after a kid 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is tiring, period. More so when I had to sleep in snatches of three hours or so, thanks to two reasons:
- Elly’s inability to sleep through the night, plus
- V having to take medication every eight hours when she had vertigo.
That period was honestly pure hell. Things are looking better now though, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
I also began looking around for writing opportunities, and to establish a routine on writing. Since then:
- I have begun writing NBA-related articles, which I really enjoy. You can’t get any better than writing about a passion.
- I have very recently gone into a frenzy of writing about the Meego community app known as Wazapp, that invaluable replacement for WhatsApp to us Nokia N9 owners. I think of my role as documenting fixes and updating readers on the latest fault-fixing developments. Judging from the rocketing page views, it does look like I am providing a useful service, so this is really great while it lasts.
- I’m about to check out a possible opportunity to write product reviews, so we’ll see how this one goes.
I have also been offering adhoc assistance to a good friend on his startup, which incidentally included drafting interview questions, something I found pretty challenging. How do you test the depth of a person’s exposure with the right questions? This feels like an artform in itself.
And having come across Codeacademy recently, I’m going to get myself started on picking up the basics of Python. Hell, it does to be a useful cross-platform skill, so why not?
The one thing I really miss though, is being able to just stroll out of the house alone, hands free and idle. (I suspect those days are largely numbered.)
And oh yeah, the luxury of being able to hit the PS3 for eight hours at a stretch – that one looks to be a distant memory too.
All in all, significant changes but life is still pretty packed with little interesting nuggets here and there. It is a lot of things, but being idle is definitely not one of them.