*If you are here for a birthday present idea – get a birthday card.
Birthday card = instant gold star. I like birthday cards, especially lengthy handwritten ones. Stashing them away for re-reading over the years reminds me of the ones who always remember. Birthday card beats dinner treat, giving me cash (I’m kidding, cash is awesome.)
A text would be good, and a phone call is way cool. Company is awesome.
The ridiculous (aka not to be taken seriously) list
– Mobile trailer home outfitted to be self-sustainable, which is impossible with current technology.
– A treehouse: this is just a boyhood dream which hasn’t vanished yet.
– A home with home theatre, pool, jacuzzi, home gym, game room and an indoor basketball court.
– Facial hair transplant: I’ve always wanted a full beard, even though it sounds like a PITA to maintain. Hopefully this starts moving in 2018!
Lasik to get rid of them glasses? Nah.
– Watching a concert by the Bee Gees. A lifetime regret that can never be realised now that Maurice and Robin are gone, may they rest in peace.
– Watching Michael Jordan in action in an NBA game. I started working ten years too late dammit.
– Watching 林志炫 live!
Here’s the whole nine yards for random present inspiration.
Not bought yet
(Amazon gift cards are welcome too.)
Air Jordan XII – black/white or white/black or obsidian Air Jordan XIII – black/white or white/black Nike Hyperfuse – Rondo PE (Personal Edition), which is greenBought a pair via Footlocker.com in 2011 at a bargain price. Air Jordan XIII Ray Allen 3 point King PE – white/green. Limited edition only 2,561 pairs!Bought my pair in Jul 2011 via Sneakerape, I’m surprisingly a size 10.5? Air Jordan I DMP (Defining Moments Package) released in 2009: I’m a size 12.
Boston Celtics clothing, my size is usually S or M. Tees (short/long sleeved) and shorts welcome. Boston Celtics Swingman shorts in size MBought online in 2010. Adidas Boston Celts tee size MBought by LS for my 29th birthday in 2010. Boston Celtics Heathered Climalite tee size SBought by Stan in 2010, loose fit. A whole ton of Celtics gear I bought at TD Garden in 2011, tees mostly S.
- Maybe a custom jersey with my name and number 14. Or a Ray Allen #20 Boston Celtics jersey.
Shooting sleeveBought at Foot Locker in Jul 2010. Right ankle braceBought Push Sports product online in 2010 Left knee braceBought Push Sports product online in 2010 Right thumb braceBought a Push Sports product online in 2009
- Et cetera:
- Tickets for a Boston Celtics home game! Any matchup is welcome but one versus the Lakers would be awesome.
- Boston Celtics memorabilia, posters (especially ones autographed by Rondo or Ray)
- Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls era) memorabilia (autographed ones would cost a bomb I bet!)
Order of the Stick (aka OOTS): On the Origin of the PCsV bought this for my 29th birthday in 2010. Order of the Stick (aka OOTS): Dungeon Crawlin’ FoolsV bought this for my 29th birthday in 2010. Paperback version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, children’s edition.Bought it at $2.95, courtesy of a $20 Dymocks voucher in 2009. Order of the Stick (aka OOTS): Start of Darkness. Very kewl 😀Gift from Nanzhen together with No Cure for the Paladin Blues. Thanks man! Legends of Lone Wolf #12: The Rotting Land. Eternally out of print, and selling at exhorbitant prices online.V bought this for my 30th birthday in 2011.
- Order of the Stick (aka OOTS): No Cure for the Paladin Blues
- Order of the Stick (aka OOTS): Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales
- Order of the Stick (aka OOTS): War and XPs
- Order of the Stick (aka OOTS): Don’t Split the Party
- Wheel of Time: A Memory of Light trilogy (small paperback): The Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight and A Memory of Light. (RIP RJ.)
Random missing books from The Three Investigators. (Childish I know.)Stuff it.
Sony Playstation 3, when I’ve the time to play. (And Dynasty Warriors 6!)Bought the 40GB PS3 with HDMI cable, extra controller, Dynasty Warriors 6, Devil May Cry 4, Assassin’s Creed and Ninja Gaiden Sigma all in one night in 2008. Slurps. Dragon Age: OriginsBought at eBay in Jul 2010 God of War 3Bought at Harvey Norman in Nov 2010 White Knight Chronicles – Almost time to get it, prices very low now!Nevermind. Heavy RainNevermind. Transformers: War for CybertronOn second thoughts, not that appealing. Edge of TwilightDoesn’t sound that interesting now. Quantum TheoryNah. The Last Remnant– PS3 release appears to have been canned, sucks. Red Dead Redemption – reviews look good!Bought in 2011, and currently collecting dust. Dragon Age II– doesn’t look that good. Uncharted 3: Drake’s DeceptionBought at EBGames in Nov 2011. Awesome stuff. Assassin’s Creed: RevelationsBought at EBGames in Nov 2011. Not as good as AC:B. Elder Scrolls V: SkyrimBought at Harvey Norman in Mar 2012. Engrossing stuff. CAN’T BELIEVE I’M STILL PLAYING IT IN 2017. FUCK! Assassin’s Creed 3: Poor reviews. The Last of Us: Finally nabbed it for thirty bucks at Play-Asia, Dec 2013. Brilliant stuff. Sony PS4– V bought this as a birthday/Christmas present in Dec 2013, saved me a ton of holding out for the price to drop! Star Wars 1313: Screw this, it was cancelled by Disney? Dynasty Warriors 8: Bought it off eBay for $30, great steal. inFamous: Second Son: Bought at EB with store credit on launch day. Watch Dogs: Nup. Looks crap.
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
The Order: 1886Bought somewhere in 2015. Short play, good game (review)
- Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Witcher 3: Wild HuntStan bought this as a birthday present in 2017 Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: Off the charts good. This is what Assassin’s Creed should’ve been like.
- Uncharted 4
- Skyrim Legendary Edition (I’m missing the DLCs)
- Final Fantasy XV
- XCOM 2
- Arkham series (all of it): I need to play them at some point
Lumix FX9 or Canon S3 IS? Buy from SLS Alan Photo.
Bought a Canon Powershot A540 in Bangkok @ S$300 in 2007.
(I’m still thinking about my S3 IS though.)Screw the S3.
Bought a Canon Powershot A590 online @ A$150 in 2010. The A540 constantly refused to accept the fact that fresh batteries were inside and proceeded to turn itself off.
Canon EOS 40DBought the 50D at JB Hi-Fi in Aug 2009. Hoya polarising filterBought at SLS Singapore in Dec 2009. Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM (equiv to full-frame 50mm)Bought at JB Hi-Fi in Aug 2009. DSLR backpack that can store the camera and my laptop, and be waterproof preferably.Bought the Lowepro Primus AW at JB Hi-Fi in Sep 2009. BG-E2N battery grip: useful?Bulky, and I don’t like lugging heavy stuff so nevermind.
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
- Canon EF 135mm f/2
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
Random tech stuff
Amazon KindleBought a Wi-Fi model in 2011 during the US trip at Staples in New York, well-made and ergonomically intuitive device. Thanks NZ and LS for offering to buy it as a birthday present! I wouldn’t mind a Paperwhite but seeing as the Kindle is still alive and working well, nah. 8-cell battery for the X61nah.
- Transformers Takara Masterpiece Collection MP-04 Optimus Prime Convoy with 1:24 Scale Trailer – a must have for every old school Prime fan.
Angry Birds 3 Inch Mini Plush Clip On Red Bird– Bought one in New York in 2011, Stan bought another for me in 2011. Audio Technica ATH-ES7 headphonesBought from headphones.com.au in Aug 2010 – fantastic stuff, but don’t forget to do the mod. a garment steamer so that my family doesn’t have to bloody iron clothes.Bought a Jiffy J-2 garment steamer in June 2011.
A new one, preferably with good MP3 playback. I’ve my HTC Desire now so this can go screw itself. Got my Nokia 6300 in 2007, decent enough. Battery’s dying as of 2010.Officially retired this mobile in Oct 2010. Looking at the HTC Desire for now, Android’s UI is bloody responsive.Got the HTC Desire via contract with Telstra in Oct 2010, rooted and upgraded to Froyo! Nokia N9Bought in Apr 2012, loving it! Got a LG Nexus 4 8GB in Feb 2013, decided to retire the N9 because it was getting cranky.
Dell Latitude D520? Perhaps an Acer lappie’ll do. I’m wondering about the warranty coverage overseas though hmmmmmmm. Bought a Lenovo N100 in the end @ S$1,600 in late 2006. (upped to 1GB of RAM) I need a new laptop!Bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15 @ A$700ish in March 2011. Now wondering if I should get an IBM X31 for network stuff; portable! (Or perhaps a new Lenovo X61 for travel; li-ion batt + external battery = long battery life)Got a Lenovo X61 on a joint Lenovo/SingPost offer in 2008; kewl buy. Bought an Asus EEEPC online in 2009, very good for travel.Don’t bother with one on travel these days.
Bought an Esprit messenger bag that’s proving to be a good fit for my x61 and accessories.Time to look for a new one, the Esprit bag’s falling apart. Crumpler’s Brazillion Dollar Home?Got it as a birthday present, thanks to NZ/LS/SC in 2008. Check out the mods I did, click here for part one. Part two (cutting top insert, adding velcro straps) will come when I’m in the mood. Stopped using it because the weight of the bag was making one shoulder higher than the other.
- Bought a Timbuk2 Commute with Griptex strap pad in June 2011 via Amazon, the Esprit bag is really in pieces at this point.
I think I’m lusting for the Saddleback Leather Backpack in Dark Coffee Brown now – the only thing that’s stopping me is the price tag o.OBut it looks like it’s too heavy so I gave up.
Undecided on the model yet. Rechargeable via USB or AA batts?The brother bought a Sony NW-A806 Walkman (4GB, 2″ LCD) as a belated present in 2007; nice and sleek tho the screen’s a little too small : )
- Do I need a new player yet? Carrying my entire collection around sounds fun but no iPods for me!
The N9’s music player is just heaven, no MP3 player needed. Using the Nexus 4 now, turning out to be a PITA because of limited storage.
The Manchurian CandidateSJ jie bought this for my 29th birthday in 2010. PaycheckSJ jie bought this for my 29th birthday in 2010. Matrix Trilogy DVD set.Bought it over at Melbourne JB Hi-Fi for $26 in 2009.
- The Secret Adventures of Gustave Klopp
- Inglourious Basterds
How I Met Your Mother complete DVD box set (when series ended)Stan got this for me in 2016 Harry Potter complete Blu-Ray box set, a deluxe one with extended cuts. Star Wars Blu-Ray box setMaybe not. harmy’s the way to go, not going to buy any of that George Lucas revisionist stuff. NBA: Ultimate Jordan (20th Anniversary Three-Disc Collector’s Edition)Watched it.
- More Esprit T-shirts, those sold in Singapore. Australia’s fit doesn’t suit me.
- Asha’man tee shirt, just what every WoT fan needs!
The Kathmandu jacket is falling apart, and I need a replacement everyday waterproof/windproof jacket. Perhaps the Marmot PreCip?Bought a North Face Summit Series in New York during the 2011 US trip.
Need a new pair of slippers/thongs/whatever-you-call-it, the Trail ones I always wear.Bought two new pairs in Nov 2012 at Bangkok. Thanks once more to the FG for her sharp eyes! One of them fell apart after a week of use, how about that.
Revoltech No 036 Macross movie edition Strike Valkyrie VF-1SBought in 2008.
- Chogokin DX Macross Frontier YF-29 Valkyrie Durandal (30th Anniversary Color) – looking so damn awesome.
Jay Chou’s 我很忙 figurinecourtesy of ZM for my birthday in 2008. Thanks dude ;p MP3 of Anthony & Valentino Bao (小松小柏) – 想你的爱Found a decent (64kbps bitrate = decent) audio stream on 29 Sep 2010, the quest is finally over!
- Tickets to a 林志炫 (Terry Lin) concert
- Tickets to a 五月天 (Mayday) concert in Taiwan. Or anywhere for that matter. (Caught them in Singapore, 2006/2008/2017 and thrice in Melbourne, 2009/2010/2012.)
- Tickets to a 周杰伦 (Jay Chou) concert. (Caught him once in 2008 in Singapore).
- Tickets to a 张学友 (Jacky Cheung) concert. (Caught him in Melbourne, 2007/2011/2018).
- Tickets to Jersey Boys performances. (Watched the original Australia cast twice in 2009 and once in 2010 after the original Tommy DeVito aka Scott Johnson got replaced. Also caught the Broadway version in New York, 2013.)
- Painting of Leonid Afremov’s City By The Lake